Our Origin Story
Grace Notes started in 2001 with 4 dedicated musician friends who had many years of chamber music experience in the local music scene. This includes concert performances and musical productions with the National University of Singapore Symphony Orchestra (NUSSO), Braddell Heights Symphony Orchestra, The Chamber Players, Singapore Bible College and SAF Music and Drama Company. All 4 musicians have Diplomas from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) or Trinity College of Music. With the passage of time, the composition of the team has evolved but not its dedication.
Our Core Musician Team
Elaine Khong (Violin)
Elaine serves as the key manager/violinist of the group and looks after all aspects of events so ensure that all events run at clockwork and nothing is left to chance.
Hendry Goh (Cello)
May Tan (Flute/Piano)
Mei attained her Bachelor of Music Performance with honours from the Kingston University Upon Thames, where her studies was supported by the National Arts Council (NAC) Oversea Bursary. She continued with her orchestral and flute studies with Dr AndersLyungar-Chapleon in Malmo Conservatory, Sweden. She has performed with percussion ensemble, gamelan, flute ensemble/orchestra, chamber ensembles in Singapore and overseas. Active in performance, she currently plays in the Braddell Heights Symphony Orchestra and other ad hoc projects. She has appeared as a soloist with the Emmanuel Symphony Orchestra in Singapore and with the Braddell Heights Strings Ensemble in Milan in recent years.
The name “Grace Notes” has many shades of meaning and we have used the following as core values to guide us in our journey together.
- “ornamental note used to decorate or embellish melody” : Our desire is that our music will serve to enhance and fill any occasion with a sense of uniqueness and loveliness. That means that we have to give our best for every occasion!
- “music that is played with a sense of grace and poise” : We hope to dedicate ourselves to the pursuit of our craft and hope to comprehend its infinite riches with our finite selves. That means many hours of diligent practice!
- “an expression of God’s gift to Man” : We believe that music is a gracious gift from heaven. We hope that we will serve the needs beyond ourselves and grant a special favor to the people around us.
Our Performance Portfolio & Clientele
Here’s a selected list of events (not including weddings) we have performed over the years. We regret that we could not put the full list down as it would prove to be too tedious to scroll through.
- Rutgers University Graduation
- DBJ (Development Bank of Japan) Singapore Limited
- SGH Orthopaedics Department Dinner
- Harvey Norman Furniture Grand Launch
- Singapore Academy of Law (SAL) Appreciation Dinner
- Swiss Life – Launch of Singapore Office
- Marketing Institute of Singapore (MIS) 35th Anniversary Dinner (Mr Teo Ser Luck – GOH)
- JP Morgan @ Singapore Flyer
- SAFRA 35th Anniversary Celebration Dinner (Mr Teo Chee Hian guest of honour)
- Singapore Mediation Centre 10th Anniversary Luncheon (Aug 2007)Automobile Association of Singapore Golf Charity Dinner (SM Goh Chok Tong - GOH)
- Singapore Island Country Club New Year’s Eve Countdown Party
- World Civil Aviation Chief Executives Forum @ Asian Civilization Museum
- NATAS Book Launch and Christmas Function @ Singapore Arts Museum
- HSBC Insurance Awards Night @ ShangriLa Hotel
- General Practitioner Dinner for Singapore General Hospital @ SGH
- MINDS (Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore) 40th Anniversary Gala Dinner
In addition to these, we have also participated in neighbourhood arts outreach events to bring string music to the masses.
Of course, not the least the many wedding ceremonies and dinners whom we have been blessed to witness and share.